Do I have enough auto insurance?


As attorneys who represent individuals injured in automobile accidents, truck accidents and motorcycle accidents, we are often disappointed to find that, while our clients have “full coverage” on their automobiles, (that is, they have every type of coverage), the limits of their coverage are far too low to protect them while they are disabled and incurring large medical expenses after an auto accident. In Delaware, you can protect yourself and your family with good car insurance coverage in the event of injury.

One way to protect yourself and your family is by having sufficient Personal Injury Protection (“PIP”) coverage. PIP benefits are what we would describe as “no fault” benefits. Under the PIP coverage in your policy, all wages lost and all medical bills incurred by you or your family members during the first two years following an auto accident will be paid by your insurance company regardless of fault, provided, (and this is where the problems lies) that your coverage is sufficient enough to meet your needs.

Under Delaware law, you must have at minimum $15,000.00 in PIP coverage. Although $15,000.00 is the minimum, for a reasonable increase in your premium, you can have PIP coverage in the amount higher than the state minimum. Having a higher PIP limit can help you and your family in the event of injury.

Another way to protect yourself and your family is by having sufficient Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage. Uninsured Motorist (“UM”) Coverage is designed to compensate you for the negligence of another driver, who has injured you, but who has no insurance to compensate you for your pain, suffering and injury. Underinsured Motorist (“UIM”) Coverage is designed to protect you if the negligent driver has some insurance but that insurance is not enough to fully compensate you. Again, for a reasonable increase in your premium, you can have higher Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage.

You can protect yourself by simply contacting your insurance agent and requesting that he or she review your coverage with you so that you can be sure that, not only you are protected if you unfortunately caused an injury, but you are also protected if you are the victim of another person’s negligence. It’s not too late!

If you would like a free consultation to discuss an automobile accident, truck accident or motorcycle accident claim, call Rhoades & Morrow LLC.

(The contents of this article are intended to convey general information only and not to provide legal advice or opinions. As legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, nothing provided herein should be used as a substitute for advice of competent counsel)

You are encouraged to leave relevant comments but engaging in personal attacks, threats, online bullying or commercial spam will not be allowed. All comments should remain within the bounds of fair play and civility. (You can disagree with others courteously, without being disagreeable.) Feel free to express yourself but keep an open mind toward finding value in what others say. To report abuse or spam, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box.
[fbcomments url="" width="375" count="off" num="3"]